Organised by Friends of the Earth Groups from around Hertfordshire, The Herts Environment Hustings took place on 19th April. Chairman Nick Hazell put questions on issues of sustainability and the environment from the online audience to a panel consisting of:
- Conservatives – Theresa Heritage, Derrick Ashley
- Greens – Anni Sander, Nick Cox
- Labour – Tina Bhartwas, Simon Speller
- Liberal Democrats – Helen Campbell, Nigel Quinton
The whole hustings are covered in two podcasts:
Part 1 – The questions covered were (in this order, to make it easier if you’d like to find a particular response) https://radioverulam.com/podcast/listen-now-to-the-herts-environment-hustings-part-1/
- 2 minutes on the parties environmental policies for Hertfordshire
- We know that spending time in nature has significant benefits for our health and wellbeing, and that a diverse natural environment is essential to a sustainable economy. What steps will your party advocate to reverse the recent alarming decline in biodiversity in Hertfordshire, and ensure that everyone in the county has access to quality green spaces where wildlife and people can flourish?
- What would you do about public transport and how to get car owners out of their cars
- Lots of county council land will be released for house building. Would you ensure that all such houses will be carbon zero
- What measures would you take to reduce the amount of Hertfordshire’s waste which is incinerated or landfill
End of Part 1
Part 2 – https://radioverulam.com/podcast/listen-now-to-the-herts-environment-hustings-part-2/
- Do you feel that wide area 20mph limits have an important role to play
- Do you have any plans to communicate the importance and urgency of the climate crisis to the general public
- What are your views on the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill
- Is banning the use of herbicides and pesticides a priority to benefit the environment and the health of local people
- Do you believe in a halt in new road building
- The Herts Sustainability Strategy has no target for reducing the GHG emissions from the county other than the national target of net zero by 2050. Should there be a target and what should it be?
- What are you doing in your personal life to be more environmentally friendly?
The doorbell sound is the timer used to ensure that each party had the same amount of time.
Please excuse noise distortions dues to internet fluctuations.